After his doctoral degree in 1997, Hato Schmeiser joined ERC Frankona Reinsurance in Munich where he worked as a senior analyst until 1999. He finished his postdoctoral lecture qualification (Habilitation) at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin in 2003 and was subsequently appointed Professor at the University of Münster (Chair for Insurance Management). Since 2005 he holds the Chair for Risk Management and Insurance and is Managing Director of the I.VW at the University of St.Gallen. His research has been awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association (2005 and 2008), the Casualty Actuarial Society (2009), the Emerald Literati Network (2013 and 2018), and the Journal of Insurance Issues (2014).
The research focus of the Chair for Risk Management and Insurance lies in the following areas:
- Evaluation and management of financial guarantees
- Behavioral insurance
- Customer value und customer equity
- Asset liability management
- Capital allocation and pricing models for insurance risks
- Risk theory and insurance mathematics