The traditional classroom seminar is now also offered as an online program. Over a period of five weeks (with a time investment of 3.5 hours per week), newcomers and career changers deepen their understanding of how the insurance industry works and the challenges it faces today. In compact units, you will gain a basic understanding of the structures of national and international insurance markets and the special features of market services in life and non-life insurance. The processes of product development, sales and claims management are explained. This will prepare you to understand better the technical and financial aspects of insurance management.
- What is the business model of an insurance company?
- What is needed to deliver this product to a client?
- The main eco-systems (mobility, old age, health, house / living,…)
- An overview on the insurance market
- Main types of life insurance: Mortality vs. longevity
- Main types of non-life insurance: Property vs. liability
- Main cover structures used in the insurance industry
- Reinsurance and Alternative Risk Transfer
- The insurance value chain
- Seven challenges that shape the insurance industry in the next five years
- handle the low interest rates and debt crisis
- digitize the organization
- manage new regulations
- handle new competitors
- manage demographic change
- develop profitable growth
- become a customer‐oriented company
- The big Elephant in the room: ESG
- Hypothesis on the Digital Transformation (Blockchain, AI, Big Data, Cyber)
- Asset Liability Management
- Risk & Capital Management
- KPI Cockpit (Key Performance Indicartors)
This course is conducted 100% online. The learning methodology is accordingly geared towards distance learning and consists of three parts:
Before starting the course, you will be given access to the online learning platform of the I.VW-HSG and set up the zoom account to be able to participate in the live sessions. This will enable you to prepare for the individual modules, exchange with colleagues and learn at your own pace.
|Live sessions with faculty
You can log into the zoom session from the comfort of your home, office or on the road. Each zoom session lasts about 3.5 hours with the respective professor. During the live sessions you will actively exchange ideas with the other participants, give feedback or solve problems. This includes time for preparation and follow-up of the session.
|Lessons learned / transfer
You have the opportunity to check the knowledge you have learned in the session as well as the documents and videos for the respective unit with a multiple choice assessment. You will also formulate measures for yourself to put what you have learned into practice.
Martin Eling is doing empirical research in the intersection of insurance management, mathematics, and economics. After his doctoral degree in 2005 he joined the I.VW-HSG as a postdoctoral researcher. In 2008 he was visiting professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Then in 2009 he was appointed Professor of Insurance at the University of Ulm. Since November 2011 he is Director of the I.VW-HSG and holds the Chair for Insurance Management at the University of St.Gallen. The Chair was established with support of the Swiss insurance industry.