As a joint initiative by Digital Insurance Agenda and the Institute of Insurance Economics (I.VW-HSG) at the University of St.Gallen to accelerate innovation this course (in 3rd edition) focuses on the central role of Data in insurance innovation and will help insurance executives gain a new perspective on the impact of data on the future of insurance. The course consists of 9 modules, combining the latest in academic foundational thinking with practical examples from insurtech leaders and insurance executives and thought leaders.
Learn from the Leaders – Course overview
• Understand the four trends that create The Perfect Storm for the next level of insurance innovation.
• Explore the principles of data driven value creation and how to treat data as an asset.
• Identify the key challenges for insurance companies to thrive in the future of insurance.
• Learn all you need to know as a senior executive about advanced uses of data and models.
• Gain a fundamental understanding of AI: from evolution to application.
• Assess yourself how data driven you are, based on the data savviness maturity model.
• Meet the new customer: who are your future clients?
• Reinvent customer engagement: new principles and the role of data.
• Understand the difference between customer centric innovation vs. data centric innovation.
• Optimise the portfolio and performance across the value chain.
• Learn how to combine artificial intelligence and human intelligence for optimal impact.
• Get inspired: how insurtech enablers accelerate value chain innovation.
• Recognise convergence to perfect markets and the role of services as differentiator.
• Understand and apply contextual thinking, service engineering and service innovation.
• Find out about platform strategies, network effects and stored value.
• Learn how to create successful data driven business models from scratch.
• Understand Open Innovation principles and other new ways of working.
• Consider challenges in large organisations: how far can you get away from the traditional core business?
• Interpret the reconfiguration of industries and blurring boundaries.
• Identify the different roles in the ecosystem and determine what it takes to become an orchestrator.
• Learn how to build effective digital and data partnerships.
• Identify essential skills for the Age of Data.
• Create an effective culture for innovation with data.
• Discuss how to win the war for data talent.
• Take a future look at long term disruptive scenarios for the insurance industry.
• Recognise possibilities from new data.
• Discuss projections for advanced technologies, such as blockchain.
What the course looks like
Online – Interactive – 9 weeks – 2h/week – Kick-off September 27, 2023
By combining specific expertise from DIA and the University of St.Gallen’s Institute of Insurance Economics (I.VW-HSG), this online executive education course offers a unique combination of academic rigor, research and insights with the latest advanced insurtech practices from across the globe; strategic and actionable – and in engaging formats.
A business course that speaks at the right executive level. That only speaks about data in terms of how they add value; how you can grow your business. Where you can Learn from the Leaders.
Grow your business. Learn from the leaders
The course focuses on the central role of Data in insurance innovation and will help insurance executives gain a new perspective on the impact of data on the future of insurance. The course consists of 9 modules, combining the latest in academic foundational thinking with practical examples from insurtech leaders and insurance executives and thought leaders.
“Next Level of Innovation in the Age of Data” will provide participants with a new type of online experience, focused on brief speaker presentations with lots of interaction. The course includes a range of real use cases from compelling speakers and companies, providing participants with the opportunity to engage directly with the presenters.
The course kicks off on September 27th, 2023. Classes are online, 2 hours per week, conveniently scheduled at the end of the workday on Tuesdays. There will be ample time for interactive Q&A and discussion sessions to develop key takeaways that participants can directly apply in their companies.
DIA’s mission is to accelerate insurance innovation by connecting insurance executives with insurtechs through DIA’s multiple thought leadership platforms. Applying our expertise to executive education with the academic authority in insurance, the University of St. Gallen’s Institute of Insurance Economics (I.VW-HSG) is a logical next step for your further education.
Want to get detailed information about the different modules, including insurance leaders that will be speakers during the course and the engaging formats? Request the course brochure here or apply for the course right away!
Professor Alexander Braun is the academic director of the HSG Digital Insurance Transformation course. He is head of the Insurance Innovation Research Team at the Institute of Insurance Economics (I.VW-HSG) and his research focuses on business model innovation and new approaches to capital management. Professor Braun is heavily involved in continuing education and is also the academic director of the Executive Master HSG Insurance and Financial Services.
Interested in joining this course?
Send an email to to receive further information.
Attending the course with one or more colleagues is even more effective. It allows you to discuss the implications of what you’ve learned in each module specifically for your company – which is why we encourage this to increase the impact. If you want to come with 5 colleagues or more, please send an e-mail to Bertina (), who can inform you about our special group rates.
Your contact person
If you have any questions about this executive online seminar or would like to discuss your suitability for this course, you can contact our executive director, Dr. Christoph Peter, directly. Please feel free to contact him for a non-binding interview via mail, phone or to make an appointment
+41 71 224 7945
Arrange a consultation here
Registration is open.